Thursday, January 18, 2007

It's too hot to do anything, including read a book...

I'm very slowly making my way through the 30+ unread books that stand between me and the possibility of buying even more books.

It doesn't help that we're in the middle of a heatwave, and with daily temperatures that average 40 degrees celsius (and 48 degrees inside my un-airconditioned 80-year-old house) even concentrating enough to simply read a book is becoming impossible. I'll be lucky if I get through one a week at this rate.

So far I've been able take five books off the pile because they were too uninteresting to continue with. I tried my best with all of them, but life is short. And hot.

So, in no particular order, here are the five books that I've decided not to finish and review here (and it's a shame about the Bellairs, the Dale and the Flower books as they all have great covers):

Intruder in the Dark - George Bellairs (first published 1966)
A Helping Hand - Celia Dale (1966)
Crime Writers and Other Animals - Simon Brett (1998)
Goodbye, Sweet William - Pat Flower (1959)
The Circular Staircase - Mary Roberts Rinehart (1909)

No comments: