Monday, March 24, 2008

2008 Easter Book Fair - Day Four

It was the last day of the book fair today, and somehow I managed to find some gems amongst the dregs that were left. My next book fix won't be until May, when I'll be heading to Clunes for the first time to check out the massive CFA 'Nothing Over $5' book sale - part of the Clunes 'Booktown' weekend. I may even get to meet some of the visiting writers, which will include John Marsden and Nigel Krauth. See www.clunes.org/booktown for more info.

I spent $10.00 today, and all were paperbacks.

Catch as Catch Can by Charlotte Armstrong
Running Wild by J. G. Ballard
Little Caesar by W. R. Burnett
Matrimonial Causes: A Cliff Hardy Novel by Peter Corris
The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B by J. P. Donleavy
In a Lonely Place by Dorothy B. Hughes
Death in the Bunker by Ian Kershaw
Seven Books for Grossman by Morris Lurie
Death in a White Tie by Ngaio Marsh
The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter by Sharyn McCrumb
Dead and Not Buried by H. F. M. Prescott
Moonlight Flitting by Maurice Procter
A Five Year Sentence by Bernice Rubens
Shadow Alley: Nine Crime Stories compiled by Lucy Sussex
Julie by Cora Taylor
An Evil Love: The Life of Frederick West by Geoffrey Wansell

Death in the Bunker by Ian Kershaw is another title in the Penguin 70s series. It's an excerpt from Kershaw's biography of Adolf Hitler, detailing the last few days of his life.

Shadow Alley: Nine Crime Stories features a Phryne Fisher short story by Kerry Greenwood, in which Phryne is a 14-year-old boarder at a girl's school in England. I'm guessing she solves her first case.

I have a hardcover copy of Dead and Not Buried by H. F. M. Prescott, but I haven't read it yet. And as I much prefer reading paperbacks (and they were all just 50 cents each) I picked this one up. Quite a nice 1960s cover as well.

A Five Year Sentence by Bernice Rubens was bought because I liked the opening paragraph: "Miss Hawkins looked at her watch. It was two-thirty. If everything went according to schedule, she could safely reckon to be dead by six o'clock."

No comments: