Sunday, May 11, 2008

Books and a cupcake


A cupcake from the batch I baked this morning for mum's Mother's Day lunch - vanilla with butter cream icing.


I didn't have long to wait after the Clunes 'Booktown' weekend for another book fix - the local library held a book sale yesterday. I picked up a few things, including another copy (you can never have too many) of one of my all-time favourite children's books - The Diddakoi by Rumer Godden.


'Sewing and Knitting' by Helen Allen is technically a children's how-to guide, but if my plan to knit a scarf is ever going to succeed, a simple step-by-step approach is the only thing that's got a chance of getting me there. Now I just need some decent wool, a pair of needles and a free evening to sit down with a mug of hot chocolate and this book.


Crete is a work of verse fiction by Dorothy Porter, author of The Monkey's Mask. Here's a taste:

Stain

If you must mark me
make it pretty

give me a birthmark
the colour of an orchid
so inviting
my lover will sniff it
like a blissed bee

embroider my wrist
with a tattoo
so my talking hand
can trail in the air
a glimpse of the exquisite

if you must keep me
in this skin

if you will never let me out

don't make me live inside
stained walls

make them pretty.

No comments: