Saturday, June 07, 2008

Castlemaine book sale


I can never resist a second hand book sale. Today there was one in Castlemaine, a small town about half an hour's drive away. I brought my Staffordshire, Bean, with me. While he's not a fan of long car trips, he never complains, and is happy to lounge on the back seat of the car for as long as it takes while I'm searching through stacks of books. Now, if only I could find a man who'd do the same...

My finds: The Crime at Honotassa by M. G. Eberhart (1962 Collins hardcover, with dust-jacket); Bloomsbury Good Reading Guide by Kenneth McLeish (apparently an 'indispensable companion for all book lovers'); 100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories edited by Dziemianowicz, Weinberg & Greenberg (1993 hardcover with DJ, with great jacket art by Jack Eckstein); Ludmila's Broken English by D. B. C. Pierre and three magazines, one of which is the Winter 2007 issue of Stiletto, the Australian crime fiction magazine published by Sisters in Crime.

After fighting my way to the little old ladies manning the make-shift cash registers (and fighting off a little man who wanted to carry my books for me), I loaded my books into the car and drove to a local sports reserve, so Bean could have a run off lead. I'd brought along a squeaky toy (shaped like a bone with an American football in the middle - he loves it) and we spent ages running around, chasing each other. When we both couldn't run another step, we headed back to the car.

There was enough time left to visit two nearby op shops. I didn't find much: two long-sleeved 70s blouses for $1.00 each, one red and the other cream, Margaret Fulton's Book of One Pot Cooking, a collection of Erin Pizzey essays, and a first edition copy of E. R. Braithwaite's Paid Servant.

No comments: